mobile-site : Welcome to Burton upon Trent Corps of The Salvation Army

you here : homepage > corps > history >mosley st citadel >

Mosley Street Citadel

Salvation Army Citadel in Mosley Street

Salvation Army Citadel
in Mosley Street

WE ARE MOVING

Following a Condition Survey Report on our building in
Mosley Street.


It has being decided by the Divisional HQ property department that due to Health and Safety concerns and the high cost of repairs,

it is not viable for us to remain in our building. And we will have to
vacate before winter.

 

Taken from the Corps History Book
and Burton Mail Archive

June 1946
The old fire damaged hall in Brook Street has been sold for 1,750
Negotiations taking place to purchase the Methodist Church in Mosley Street

July 1947

The Purchase of Mosley Street Church for corps use
Tenure freehold    2,750
Cost of alterations    1,000
Legal and depart. expenses      110
Total    3,860

Funding Agreed
Corps guarantee    2,910
National Headquarters grant      750
International HQ grant       200
Total    3,860

September 1947
The main and hall closed for alterations. Meetings to be held in the young peoples hall.

December 1947
Alterations still being carried out in the main hall

December 1948
Work not yet recommenced on the main hall but hopes are high

January 1949
At last work commenced in earnest on the main hall.

August 27th & 28th 1949
Opening of the main hall by the Mayoress Mrs Harrison. Present Colonel Fred Hammond from London. Major Garnet architect. Senior Major and Mrs Grieg (Divisional Commander). Major Kimberley (former commanding officer) who raised almost all of the money for the purchase of the hall. A wonderful weekend resulting in two souls at the mercy seat. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

N.B.
There is no indication in the history book of the course of the problems resulting in the delay and why it took two years to complete the alterations.

Researcher - Barbara Savage
(Published in the Corps Magazine Sept. & Nov. 1997)


Burton Band at

Inside

National Memorial Arboretum

the Main

'Armed Forces Day Service'

Worship Hall

Band at the Arboretum - 20th April 2008

Balcony Support

Band at the Arboretum - 20th April 2008

Rose Window

The Church in Mosley Street was built in 1878 as a Methodist Church. It was purchased by The Salvation Army 1947, when major structural work was under taken.

The original design had the balcony running along the both sidewalls with doors opening into the upper rear worship hall. Also a large opening into a organ loft, which was filled in, where the Crest not hangs.

The hall was opened for worship in August 1949
The hall was closed again in 1978 for modernization, and again under went reconstructions of the Kitchen and toilets in 1999.

In the past 65 years it has been a spiritual home for many at Burton and holds lots of memories and emotions.

In October 2014 we are moving out of our Mosley Street Citadel and will be sharing the New Baptist Church in Derby Street.
info

The Salvation Army
in Burton on Trent

is NOT closing,
just relocating

Front Door

Front Door

Rear of the Hall

Rear of the Hall

Rear of the Hall

Rear of the Hall

Young Peoples Worship Hall

Young Peoples Worship Hall

Young Peoples Worship Hall : Mercy Seat

Young Peoples Worship Hall : Mercy Seat

Young Peoples Worship Hall

Young Peoples Worship Hall

Lounge

Lounge

Lounge

Lounge

Kitchen

Kitchen

Kitchen

Kitchen


The Photographs on this page were taken by Nigel Downs