full graphical-site : Welcome to Burton upon Trent Corps of The Salvation Army

you here : homepage > Corps > History >

Brief History of The Salvation Opening Fire.

Burton upon Trent is well known for its brewery industries, which originated here in the 13th century in Burton Abbey when the monks discovered that the high gypsum content of the water made excellent beer.
This led to the first full-scale brewery being built in 1708. At the height of the industry there were 31 breweries producing three million barrels of ale.
It's against this background that The Salvation Army opened fire in Burton under the command of Colonel Elijah Cadman. Seeing that the brewery and brewery related industries was the major employment of the town, also with the local newspapers calling on the Burtonians to drive the Salvation Army out, it's not surprising that the early Salvationist faced a formidable task.

Red ShieldTake the first day, Saturday July 17th 1886, when the Colonel arrived by train, with help from the band of Derby Corps, a crowd of approximately ten thousand was waiting for them. They were greeted with hissing, hooting and groaning but they formed in line and the band struck up. The crowd pushed and jostled them, the bandsman were scattered, the drum was smashed and the mob pulled the Colonel along by his hair in a attempt to push him into a public house. After a hot time the Salvationist got to the barracks (A hired malt kiln) which was packed, men standing on the seats shouting and cursing. There was no chance of a meeting but they sang and spoke a little, and the police helped clear the hall. The next day the meetings were held in the market place when many were gloriously saved.

The building in Wetmore Road was packed every night and during the first eight days 120 men and women were converted. During the first twelve months 14 men, at various times, were summonsed for fighting and using obscene language in the Salvation Army. By the second anniversary (1888) 200 soldiers had signed the Articles of War and there were several hundred adherents who regularly attended the meetings. In May 1889 the Burton Corps opened their new Citadel in Brook Street. The hall was well lit with gaslights and had accommodation for 1,200 people. The first meetings in the new citadel were led by Commissioner Eva Booth.

General William BoothGeneral William Booth visited Burton on three occasions.
The first being July 7th 1887 when General Booth conferred Baptism of fire. The last time was August 13th 1909, when the General kept a promise he had made the previous year (on a flying visit) to return to Burton to address the general Purpose Committee in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall.

List of Commanding Officers from 1886 to the Present Day

Capt. Shenkins
Capt. King
Capt. Tingell
Capt. Turner
Ajd. Ward
Ensign Barker
Adj. Taylor
Capt. Capp
Ensign Nottridge
Capt. Grainger
Adj. Black
Capt. Chapman
Ensign Dix
Ensign Johnson
Adj. Sherman
Adj. Giles
Comdt. Flemming
Comdt. Bourne
Comdt. Hackett
Comdt. Marriot Adj. Latter
Comdt. Portas
Ensign Aldion
Adj. Ritchie
Adj. Greaves
Adj. Swindell
Major Allen
Major Boswell & Adj. Milnes
Major Griffiths
Major Gough
Major Kimberley
Major Churchman
Major Nellist
Major James
Major Mercer
S/Captain Ward
S/Major Hainsworth
S/Major Downs
Brigadier Weaver
Brigadier Clewlow Major Wilson Capt. Kew
Brigadier Seekings & Capt. Stewart
Major Chater
Major Stacey
Capt. Pearce-Haydon
Brigadier Gothard
Capt. Cutler
Major Woodward
Capt. Irvine & Capt. Johnstone
Major Groves
Capt. Michael & Mildred Crookes
Major Alan & Linda Aggett
Major Laina Geleit
Majors Brian & Pamela Edwards
Majors Peter & Marion Shipp
Majors Rudi & Lesley Pilsel
Major Phyllis Martin (Support Officer)
Major Jane Morris
Majors Michael & Carole Loveridge